Patent valuation is the process of determining the economic value of a patent or a patent portfolio.
It’s essential for various business activities such as patent sales, licensing, mergers and acquisitions, and financial reporting.
Why Patent Valuation Matters to Inventors and Businesses:
- Business Decisions: Helps businesses decide whether to invest in, sell, or license a patent.
- Financial Reporting: Assists in assessing the intangible assets of a company.
- Litigation: Provides an estimate of damages in patent infringement cases.
- M&A Due Diligence: Gives potential buyers a clearer picture of a company’s worth.
Factors Influencing the Value of Your Patent:
- Cost Method: Determines value based on costs incurred in developing the patent, such as research and development, registration, and maintenance.
- Market Method: Compares the patent to similar patents that have been sold or licensed in the market.
- Income Method: Estimates future revenue the patent can generate and discounts it to present value.
Patent valuation is more than just numbers… it’s about understanding the potential and importance of intellectual property in the context of business strategies.
Contact us for assistance with determining the value of your patent today.